A few months ago we had an idea. To park the motorcycle for a while and continue traveling in a van. We wanted a different trip and this new vehicle offered us what we wanted now, more outdoor.
In our previous project we went through some of the most remote places on the planet, but when you travel by motorcycle the extreme and exceptional conditions of these regions (temperatures, wildlife, altitude, loneliness …) end up causing you to focus basically on crossing that places because being trapped there can be literally dramatic. So the visits used to be much shorter than we wanted.
That’s why a 4×4 van. Be more self-sufficient. Bring with us food, water and energy to be able to spend all the time we want in those kinds of places. We can also bring more equipment, mountain bikes, equipment for trekking, more equipment to document the trip and even for the first time in many years we would have our own roof. We could put our base of operations wherever we wanted.
But of course, it could not be any van. We needed one that will dared with all kinds of routes, which does not stop in front of rivers, dunes, mountains, savannas, jungles and deserts and that will allow to go through them as we did with the motorcycle. In our mind, the photograph of the vehicle we wanted was clear. For how to get it we had no idea.
As it happened before when we started the journey around the world on motorcycle, we do not know anything about cars, mechanics, the real needs that we will have on the road with this new vehicle… we did not even know how to drive it, so the first thing we had to do It was taking some classes and our license.
Although what we did know is that the illusion is easy to get infected, and all the energy we have to start this new project quickly found a way to transform the old van into that photo we were projecting. These are the main modifications and improvements that we have added:
- 2mm steel bumpers (front and rear)
- Electric winch (4,500 kg)
- side ladder
- roof rack
- rear door rack for spare wheel, gas tank and two bicycles
- cleaning the rust and painting
- covering with anti-rust protector of the underside of the vehicle
- interior insulation
- furniture and bed
- power inverter
- double battery system
- exterior LED lighting
- tinted windows
- off road shock absorbers
- complete polyurethane bushes kit POWERFLEX
- 15 inch wheels
- off road tires
- Accessories: handy vehicle extraction device, hi lift jack.
* Take a look at the resume of the whole process in our video and tell us what you think we should include. You already know that your advice for novices in the 4×4 cars like us are always welcome.
** Again, thanks to all those who made possible this transformation of the van to become a reality, without them it would have been really difficult to arrive so fast and so well prepared at this moment.
- Service Milosheski (design, production and installation of all exterior elements.
- Tehnokoop and Studio Contempo (design, production and installation of furniture)
- Dog Security (radio, power inverter, LED lights and electrical connection)
- POWERFLEX (polyurethane bushes kit)
- A 4×4 performance (labor in the suspension installation)
- DURACELL (batteries)
- BERNER (tools)