Having all your documents in order is one of the very important parts before starting a travel around the world.
Specially if you plan to travel with motorbike or by car before to leave your country there are 6 basic documents you must have with you. Once you have them all we recommend you to scan those papers, print a copy to carry always with you (you can present many of them during the travel in step to show the originals) and also keep a copy to your email or iCloud.
The main and more important facts for your passport is to be valid (usually at least for 6 months as it demanded for many countries). Of course it must be original and depending of how many countries you plan to visit it must have free pages and space for stamps and visas. Your nationality will make your passport work easier or not with the tramits and possibilities to visit more countries.
The visas is temporary permit to stay in a foreign country. It depends of your own country if you require visa or not. I was traveling with my Macedonian Passport and the process to get visas was quite more difficult and tricky than it was for Manu with Spanish passport, but at the end we get the same doors opened. If you really want to visit certain country and your first answer in the embassy is that you can not get the visa I recommend you to insist until you can get to talk face to face with the consul, the person who really can understand your story and the point of your visit to their country, and who can accept you request. Some visas you must to apply previously in a embassy before to arrive in the country, some you can get them online or in some cases you can just pay for the visa in the same border.
- During our travel around the world we were applying for the visas country by country because it was hard to plan which countries we would visit ,and when.
- Some countries like Australia requiere for to apply for visa to have travel insurance.
- Some countries in Africa like Ethiopia, Kenya, Sudan or Egypt they are asking a report from your own embassy informing that you are clean and your intention is just going as a tourist.
- There are many countries like in Central Asia which requires an Invitation latter to get the visa. For example if you lie to visit Uzbequistan you are going to need an letter from some Uzbekistan citizen who invite you to visit their country.
- There are visas for one single entry or for multi entry.
- For some countries beside the visas and border registrations, you must make also registration in the near police station where you will stay ( in every single town or city where you will pass the night). Sudan is one of those countries.
3. PERSONAL TRAVEL INSURANCE
Before start a trip don’t forget to contract a travel insurance. Inform the company where you are going to travel and in what kind of transportation your are going to use because later is many small letters in the policy that can surprise you when you need assistance.
We always travel with IATI Travel Insurance, a company which specializes for travelers, backpackers, adventure travels with motorbike of bicycle for example.
If you want to know how much insurance would cost for your trip, either for just a weekend or for a sabbatical year, click on this link and you will receive a 5% discount for Around Gaia readers.
4. DRIVER LICENSE
Once you are in your country you need your international driver license which you can get in your own country. This is a small book with few pages where in several languages explain what kind of driver license you got and what kind of vehicles you are allow to drive. This international driver license is valid for one year, in our case we was 4 years around the world traveling with the same one witch expired but is was never a problem.
5. THE DOCUMENTS FOR YOUR VEHICLE
Those papers that you always use in your own country where it says who own the vehicle and the characteristics like the color, brand and model, registration number and chasis number – VIN number.
6. CARNET DE PASSAGES (CDP)
Let’s says that is kind of passport for the vehicle. For this document you apply in the motoring association of your country and you need to pay deposit for usually of half valor of your vehicle. This is like a guarantee for you to don’t sell or give as donation the bike of car in third country where they require this document. We got this document in RACE in Spain. Once you are back from the travel with all the proper stamps of every country you visit in the pages of the Carnet du Passage you can get back the money you let in deposit.