When we started to travel we though it was enough to have a strong backpack and a good pair of shoes, but after years of traveling the world we learned that insurance is something we want to have with us when we are out there. No matter how far you go or how long time you are going to spend in your trip, get a travel insurance.
A day hospitalized in the United States can cost over $ 4,000 and an ambulance brings you to the hospital will be almost $ 1,000. But do not think that only in the United States will medical expenses be increased, a fall with an injury in Mexico will cost you more than $ 14,000 or a broken leg in Thailand would reach $ 25,000.
Before our big travel project we were thinking it wasn´t smart to spent money on it, luckily we never need it even when our trips involve many risks and adventures, but once we decide to travel on motorcycle we were well advised by friends and other travelers so this time we change our mind in the last moment we got an insurance.
Think this way, if you can afford to travel you must to keep in mind that a part of your budget must go for the travel insurance always. The same way when you buy a new car and you know you will make an insurance for it. You also have an insurance for your home then why not to insure your travel?
For just around 15 € you can travel a week in Europe and for less than 30 € in any country in the world. Here you have this table with prices so you can get an idea of how cheap it can means traveling around the world with nothing to worry about.
We don´t want to make you afraid, in fact our posts always try to motivate people to take risks in life because only this way we can fully know what life is. But when you go to travel everything can goes wrong in one second, in the last expected moment. You are moving around out of your confort zone in a place which you never been before, you can not even imagine to what kind of situations you are exposing yourself to. From basic ones like eating different food, drinking different kind of water and facing completely different climate every time you move you can end with some problems difficult to solve depend of where you are.
What a travel insurance could make for you?
- Personal items: in your bags you carry all your important things, computers, cameras, passports, document… If they are accidentally damage, lost or stolen an insurance will take care of it.
- Flights: you plan to travel to another continent and your flight is canceled or maybe is you who must cancel your trip because of personal reasons like the death of close person from your family. You already invested a lot for this trip and now you don´t know how to do.
- Accidents: many times we felt down form our bike but most of the time was nothing serious, except one time when my right leg was broken in 2 parts. We were in a remote road of the Chilean Patagonia and as soon I could get to a hospital the doctors told me I need a surgery to connect back my bones with several screws and plates. I was very confuse but the insurance take care of me offering me either to take me back in a plane to my country to get surgery and rehabilitation near my family or to pass through this process overther in Chile, covering all the expenses for doctors, hospitals, rehabilitation and even accommodation and food as long I needed, which in Chile was already more than 10.000 $ but in case the accident was happening in Europeo r North America it will much much more.
- Teeth: Manu go a very painful tooth infection in Australia where just for to see doctor and get prescription for antibiotic it was 150$ then extra 1000$ for to fix the tooth.
- Infections: In Mexico we also had again to use our insurance. As we were crossing Central America an old cyst that Manu had in the neck got infected, to the point that he needed a small surgery to remove it before to turn into something very dangerous.
- Viral disease like Malaria or Dengue when you are traveling around tropical áreas
We wish you never have to use your insurance, but believe me you will be so happy to have it if something goes wrong during your journey. But now there are many different companies offering their services to travelers but you don´t know which one to choose. Then we recommend you first have a look to IATI TRAVEL INSURANCE. It´s one of the best travel insurance and the most popular among adventure people. Hiking, climbing, motorcycle trip, jeep… no matter how you want to travel IATI TRAVEL INSURANCE will cover you. Friendly people who know to treat this situations, 24/7 service and very fast assistance. Also you can contract the insurance online in few minutes even if you already started the trip.
What to keep in mind when buying insurance
- You must be sure that you read very good your travel insurance policy, every person has different expectations, necessity and understanding. Reading fine the policy is the only way you will know good what is covering and what no. If you are not sure ask fine for every question before signing.
- You always has to document very well everything related to the accident, the disease or the robbery. If you don’t have good proof of what happened then not assistance. Make photos from your luggage before the travel, make photo from the personal stuff, in case of accident or sickness keep your bills and receipts. Make photo from everything during the process.
- Make sure which activities you want to make before to choose your plan. If you like to make adventure, rent bike or car, skiing or any other activities most of the estandar policies don’t cover high risk activities.
- Declare the value of the things you are taking with you
- Declare with who you are traveling, solo, with a friend or family.
What conditions need to occur to be covered by your insurance
- It will cover you in every situation you can proof it was unexpected or by an accident.
- It will not cover you under alcohol or drugs effects, or when you are participating in extraordinary activities with high risk like paragliding or bungee jumping.
- Travel insurance doesn´t cover you if you have previous healthy problem back in your country and you must to continue your therapy while traveling.
- Severe weather conditions
- Natural catastrophes like a volcano explosion
- Traveling to a country which is in a war situation
Be smart and buy your travel insurance. Sometimes for to safe a bit money in the end it will cost you much more. Relax your mind and enjoy your travel without been worry for anything. Start here and get a price
If you have found this article useful consider booking your travel insurance through our links. Not only help to keep ads free this website and allow us to continue sharing our travel tips through this blog, but also you can get a 5% discount on your travel insurance.