Summer comes and many people are thinking that it’s time to have an adventure, it is the time to make a motorcycle trip around some exotic countries. Maybe all this started because this friend who did one journey on motorbike and can´t stop talking about how unforgettable and unique this experience was, or perhaps because of the hundreds of photos that travelers are sharing in Instagram with perfect compositions of epic moments that seem so spontaneously happening while they are crossing in their full equipped motorbikes some remote desert.
The problem is that when a dream like traveling the world on motorbike born from the marketing and not from your passions usually involve some disappointment. If this is your case probably while you plan this trip you may be thinking many times the moment when you will return home and you can show your friends the amazing photos you did around South America, South East Asia or Eastern Africa. Very possibly in the early days of the journey you will make things unconsciously like leaving grow your beard or passing several times through the first puddle you find in your route until your clothes and motorbike are dirty with mud enough giving you the look that deserves a real explorer.
That’s because you are more worried about the impact that your trip can leave in other people than in yourself, and then exist the risk of hate your journey or get boring along the road. No one you talk of the dark side of long trips on motorcycle and now the tough moments hit you in the face.
To avoid that surprise you can take note of the next list with some of the pros and cons of the motorbike long trips:
WIND IN THE FACE
- Travel and feel the wind in the face is one of the best way to experience freedom
- The problem is when the wind exceeds 100 km/hour and never stop for thousands of kilometers like happen to us in Patagonia, or when the wind is accompanied by thunderstorms in the middle of a highland desert in Bolivian where you don’t have any refuge to hide, or monsoon rains crossing a jungle Sumatra with dozens of wild Tigers around you or the extreme cold of the Artic Tundra in Alaska. (See post: dangerous climates on the route)
AROUND BIG CITIES
- When you have to go through cities like Delhi, Bangkok, Istanbul, Los Angeles or Mexico City where you find kilometers and kilometers of traffic jams you can avoid hours of waiting going on between cars.
- But when you have to sleep in these cities and park your bike on the streets you will worry until morning when you can check that the bike is in the same place you left it. A traveler motorbike is very attractive and easy to steal.
- The curves of a Mountain range will be like to ride in a rollercoaster and the straight in the desert will be like a speed circuit where to enjoy a moment of adrenaline.
- Just a gust of wind when you cross with a truck, a bug crashing on your face or a flat tire can take you down to the floor and make you to understand how vulnerable you are. All risks in the route get more dangerous when you travel on motorcycle, you can end KO in the most unexpected moment.
- With very little room for luggage you will learn to live with just few things and also your priorities will change. With the tiem passing it will be more important for you a nice sunset after a long day riding that to be able to change your outfit everyday.
- You will never have room to take with you some souvenir from the places you visited, especially those areas more exotic and tribal in the planet where people produce handicrafts that are amazing pieces of art.
- The travelers who want to spent several months or years in the route have a very tight budget, and the main way to save money will be with the accommodation. By traveling on motorcycle you learn to call the door of unknown people to ask if they can borrow you a place to spend the night, and like that having the opportunity of living with people from different cultures. Motorcycles used for traveling are a vehicle very attractive and exotic attracting the interest of people, it helps to open the doors where you have knocked.
- But often you will have to camping outdoor and for many people that means the sleepless nights. The noise of ¡the quiet nights play with your mind and so if you are in the desert you can imagine of snakes, in Alaska of Bears Grizzlies or in Africa of wild hyenas surrounding your tent. (See post: how to travel without sleeping in hotels)
- To travel by motorcycle somehow keeps you physically fit.
- After a while on the road joints like the knees get atrophied and the muscles in your back are inflamed and are getting very painful knots. Think seriously start and end the day with a good stretching or some yoga.
FOOD AND HYGIENE
- You are going to learn to have a light diet and start worrying more for what you eat. Nuts, salads, honey or seeds will be part of your daily menu. You’ll need to avoid fat meals because these means a heavy digestion and make you sleepy, very dangerous while traveling on motorcycle. When you are around by rural areas try to consume local and organic products.
- It will arrive stages when you are going through remote, cold and unpopulated areas where you will spend many days without a shower. Also exposing your body to constant changes in the air that you breathe , the water you drink and the food you eat. Sometimes the shock for our stomach turns into diarrhea, fever and dropping down your immunity. Tr drinking water from sealed bottles . In some countries avoids eat fresh food without cooking like salads if you did not wash yourself.
- Your decide when, how and where to go. You are the owner of your destiny.
- In long trips when you travel deeper in areas not much populated or when things start going wrong loneliness can be your worst enemy. In these types of situations just felling down in a slippery gravel road can end a dislocated shoulder or breaking your ankle, something not so serious can end up in tragedy if you are alone.
TRAVELING WITH THE PERSON YOU LOVE
- You can work as a team and always you will achieve bigger goals. You have someone next to you for pushing up your motivation in the tough moments.
- We personally been traveling as a couple for 4 years in a single motorbike, seating one next to each other for thousands of hours in a seat of just about 60 centimeters. An experience that can either end in divorce or discovering that you met the person with who you will share the rest of your life.
Although at the end don’t care if your idyllic picture of a motorcycle trip that you had in mind before starting the ride was destroyed with the obstacles, accidents, corrupted police, robberies or malarias that you suffered during the journey, are these hard times which really make more beautiful the experience of traveling the world motorcycle.