Before Manu and I met we were dedicating our time to travel the world. I had a trip through North America where I spent several months sometimes working and sometime in the road with friends. Manu had already spent 3 years in South America where he traveled alone.
Then we met on the beaches of Mykonos where we worked as street vendors selling our handicrafts. We were both passionate about traveling and we both had chosen this job to be able to make some income in the summer so we could travel the rest of the year. Sharing that alternative lifestyle it was normal that we end up together. Since then almost 10 years have passed and in this time we have not stopped visiting new countries.
Together we hitchhiked as backpackers, hike, move on airplanes, boats, trains, buses and finally our epic journey traveling around the world on a motorcycle for more than 4 years.
But traveling as a couple has its pros and cons, and after spending together literally 24/7 for so long we can say we know a little about it.
- You’re never alone. Life is better when you have someone to share things in a journey: food, opinions, love,happiness, sadness, smiles,hug, stress …. everything.
- When I was felling homesick I feel that I have always the support and a very close person next to me with who I can share my feelings
- When one of us was sick always has a help from the other person. We never been sick in same time.
- I use to be more friendly to the people and I always go to ask for place to sleep or any help on the road. The people trust more to one small girl than to one big and usually dirty guy with bear.
- When it was some problem happening is easier to find a solution when there are two minds to think about it.
- Is perfect because we have always photographer. Or I make some great pictures to Manu while he rides, or he make me to me.
- Working on team. We can split the job depending who of us is better for what. I use to write a diary, taking photos on the road and finding places to sleep. Manu editing photos and videos, riding the bike and worry for everything be the safety and under control
- Is less the probability to be robbed or to has some uncomfortable situation when you move all time together.
- You’re never alone. Many times you are tired or just need your own space and time with yourself , but is difficult when you travel and do life with your partner 24/7 together.
- To be on one single motorbike traveling around the world was a really hard challenge. Sometimes Manu ride in a way that make me so stress, but for him is difficult to change. He enjoy when there is strong wind, riding between big gorges or crossing huge deserts. He like facing the nature but seating behind, with no control at all of the bike is very scary.
- The most of the time we are together on the bike, so when we get estres we fight on the bike. What is a bit dangerous. While Manu is riding with his hands busy and he discuss with me many times I hit him in the lower back, when he is not expecting . It could be dangerous, but who can control in those moments?
If you want to know more about this topic, you may be interested in the following posts:
But if you have the right partner traveling as a couple is very good. Always trying new things in the relationship, never boring. You learn to work as a team, to share, to adapt. Facing the challenges together and growing with the experiences. We passed this exam in life, we complete the world tour together, and we ends in one piece. After that vey Little things can broke this relationship. There is going to be a new travel project together.