We already have been traveling with the van for a week, enough to realize about those first impressions and differences with our previous trips on motorcycle.
1. MORE SPACE
- We have much more space to carry equipment, so we can add more activities and hobbies to the trip. Much more accessories for photography, for outdoor activities, to carry tools with which we can again work with our crafts, utensils to paint, to cook…
2. ECONOMICALLY SELF-SUFFICIENT
- We can improvise a small shop anywhere to sell handicrafts, shirts, photographs, coffee… and then to be possible enjoy a trip free of sponsors, which is always much more magic.
3. MORE PROTECTION
- More protected: certainly the winter in the mountains, the wind in the deserts or the torrential rains in the jungles will be much easier to deal with. Although we will miss the personal challenges of going through places like this on a motorcycle, we can now spend more time in these remote regions and explore the planet with more details.
4. FINDING SOLUTION WHEN BREAKING DOWN
- Breakdown: when the bike broke down we could wait until some truck or pickup pass and put the bike on it to take us somewhere to fix it. When the van will stop working, which with a 30-year-old engine that will surely happen often, it will be necessary to be ingenious to get it back on the road again.
5. MORE INDEPENDENT
- We are more independent: we can transport many more supplies, water and food, and also our own bed, studio for work, workshop…
6. BETTER FOOD
- Better food: the days of bread and cans of tuna from motorcycle trips are over. Now our diet can include seeds, beans, fruits, vegetables … and the cooking is much more colorful.
7. NO RUSH
- There is no hurry to start the day on the route or worry about finding a place where to spend the night. We travel now much more relaxed and we can enjoy the planet better.
8. MORE OR LESS ADRENALINE? WE DO NOT KNOW YET
- At the moment we are just traveling through Europe and miss the adrenaline of the bike, we will see what happens when we will arrive until the African deserts or the Asian jungles. We can remove some discomforts we had when traveling on motorcycle but for us is clear that the adventure is not something will go down. The van is ready to escape from the asphalt and continue with the same travel philosophy we always have.